Sometimes we may realize that the weirdest ideas are actually the best: pink looks good when combined with sky blue and a chocolate is great with chili… When I heard for the first time about the idea of cleaning your face with oil, I thought that it’s not supposed to work. I wouldn’t be myself, though, if I didn’t look it up online and ask my friends about it 😉 Finally I tried it on my own skin and now I can for 100 % say that OCM is a great alternative to micellar water, so it’s good to use them interchangeably. Oils don’t dry out my sensitive skin and when I use them I feel like if I was doing some Far Eastern conditioning ritual. And it is also eco-friendly. Does it have only advantages? Let’s find out!
1. WHAT IS THE “OCM METHOD” AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) is about cleaning your face with a mix of natural oils. It’s all about a simple rule: “when mixed, two similar substances dissolve well”. Oils “catch” sebum and leftovers of your makeup and move it away, and also help with with many kinds of problem with your skin. (HERE you can check, how)
2. DONT BE AFRAID OF OILS!
Have you also noticed that the more often you clean your “shining” face, the faster it becomes greasy? Or that mattifying alcohol tonics make your skin worse in the long run? It all happens for a reason: your skin, if deprived of its protective, lipid layer, tries to overcompensate and it produces even more sebum. And this (combined with hormone problems or bacterial) might lead to an acne catastrophe. That’s why, contrary to appearances, the solution for a problematic skin is the oils, not a salicilic acid or drying ointment. Healthy fats reduce the seborrhea and they make your skin properly hydrated. And they have an antibacterial and nourishing properties. What’s interesting, they don’t interfere with a natural pH of your skin (the balance of acids and bases), so they don’t give you a feeling of drying out or irritation.
3. HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN OCM MIXTURE?
The base of every OCM mixture is castor oil that has cleansing and demulcent properties. It can dry out skin, so you should mix it with other delicate oils, the one from sweet almonds, grape seeds or olive oil. The choice depends on what you want to achieve. You should find my report helpful. The proportions depend on the kind of skin:
- when your skin is dry, use 10% of base oil (castor one) and 90% of other ingredients
- when your skin is greasy, use 70% of castor oil and 30% of others oils
- when your skin is mixed, use 30% of castor oil and 70% of other ingredients
It’s best to experiment with different proportions and to observe the effects – each skin can react differently. You don’t have to calculate the milliliter so – the proportions can be approximate 😉 The mix should be stored in waterproof packagings in dark places, a fridge would be the best. Additionally, you should have a small towel or a cotton cloth.
4. STEP BY STEP: HOW TO DO THIS?
- Wash your hands and apply a portion of the mixture on your face.
- Rubb it in your hands and massage it in your skin (the massage should take you approximately a minute).
- Put a towel into a very warm, but not hot water and put it to your face. Keep it like that a few moments, until it starts to loose it’s temperature and then repeat it 2-3 times.
- When you do it for the last time, you should wipe off all the mix from your face and touch your face with clean and cooled down cloth. It should close your pores 🙂
- Wash your towel in a sensitive washing powder.
- You can use the OCM method even twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. The whole ritual will not take more than 10-15 minutes.
5. WHAT SHOULD YOU WATCH OUT FOR AND WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF OCM?
In my case OCM method had resulted in many positive changes: it helped me to get red of spots that I used to have sometimes earlier and it nourished my skin. Oils (in my case the coconut one and the black seed one) work as antybacterial and, at the same time, hydrating washing gel, and a castor oil strengthens my eyebrows and eyelashes. My skin looks more bright and elastic after OCM and there are no pores visible even in HD 😀 But remember – it doesn’t wok the same for everyone. If you’re a couperose skin owners, don’t put a warm towel to your face. I need to be careful about fractured vessels, so, when doing the OCM, I always use a cloth dipped with water that has a room temperature. If you have serious problem, like acne, atopic eczema or psoriasis, ask your dermatologist whether you can use OCM! While using this method you can sometimes observe an inundation of spots . It’s the effect of a deep cleansing: your pores are getting unblocked and all the hidden spots are getting visible. Don’t panic and don’t stop using oils – in the first month of using OCM the worse condition of skin is a sign that everything works as it should. Sometimes it’s worthy to suffer if it means that your skin can get rid of unwanted spots. If the imperfections are lasting for more than a month or look disturbing (a purulent pimple, for example),stop the OCM and consult with dermatologist. You may be allergic to castor oil or any other ingredient of the mix. I love this way of skin cleansing, but unfortunately it’s not for everyone.